ANSI Pipe Schedule 40 vs 80
An ANSI pipe schedule is a standard classification system used throughout industries to classify pipe for high- or low-pressure applications, applications involving high or low temperatures, and more. The higher the pipe schedule number, the thicker the pipe wall.
Pipe schedules are standardized specifications used to categorize the wall thickness of various pipes. The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) has established a set of pipe schedules known as ANSI Pipe Schedules. These schedules provide valuable information for engineers, contractors, and manufacturers in the plumbing, oil and gas, and construction industries.
The ANSI Pipe Schedules are denoted by a numerical value, ranging from 5 to 160, with each schedule having a corresponding wall thickness. The higher the schedule number, the thicker the wall of the pipe. The most commonly used schedules include:
- Schedule 5: This schedule is typically used for low-pressure applications where corrosion resistance is important but pressure containment is not critical. It has a relatively thin wall thickness compared to other schedules.
- Schedule 10: With a slightly thicker wall than Schedule 5, Schedule 10 is suitable for applications that require moderate pressure containment. It is commonly used in water supply systems and process piping.
- Schedule 40: This schedule is widely used in various industries due to its versatility and strength. It has a thicker wall and can handle higher pressures, making it suitable for general-purpose applications.
- Schedule 80: With an even thicker wall than Schedule 40, Schedule 80 is designed for high-pressure applications such as steam lines, chemical processing, and hydraulic systems.
- Schedule 160: This schedule has the thickest wall among the ANSI Pipe Schedules and is used for extremely high-pressure applications such as petrochemical plants and power generation facilities.
It’s important to note that ANSI Pipe Schedules are not limited to these five schedules. There are additional schedules available, such as Schedule 20, Schedule 30, and Schedule 120, which cater to specific requirements.
Understanding ANSI Pipe Schedules is crucial when selecting the appropriate pipe for a given application. The schedule determines the pipe’s ability to withstand pressure, temperature, and other environmental factors. By adhering to the ANSI Pipe Schedules, engineers can ensure compatibility, reliability, and safety in their designs.
When procuring or specifying pipes, it is essential to consult the appropriate ANSI standards and reference the specific schedule required for the intended application. These standards provide detailed information on material specifications, dimensions, tolerances, and testing requirements, ensuring compliance with industry regulations.
How to Use a Steel Pipe Schedule Chart
While pipe schedule exists to estimate a pipe’s ID, outside diameter (OD) and wall thickness are used to calculate the final value. Totten Tubes provides an easy-to-use steel pipe schedule chart to assist you in finding the best option for your industrial application. Follow these straightforward steps:
- Measure your pipe’s OD and wall thickness
- Using the pipe schedule chart above, find the corresponding OD or pipe size in the vertical column
- Using the pipe schedule chart above, find the corresponding thickness in the horizontal row
- Identify the ANSI pipe schedule value
For example, let’s say your steel pipe OD is 3.5” and the thickness is 0.216”. By locating these values on the above chart, you will find that you have an ANSI schedule 40 steel pipe.
Rizhao Azure-B Supply Chain Co.,Ltd is the top steel pipe stockist and distributor in China. As a first-tier agency of several major steel companies in China including TPCO, Baosteel and so on, We are committed to offering an easier way to international trade, leaving clients rest easy. Generally we hold steel pipe stock of at least 15000 tons per months with a sales about 30000 tons per month. In view of the special steel trade system in China, we are a major player in Chinese Steel market.
Get a qutor or price, Contact us or Email.
Whatsapp/Phone/Wechat: 0086 13953344264 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org